Coronaviruses are part of a diverse family of viruses that can cause a wide range of illnesses. Their name means ” crown virus ” and comes from the fact that they all have a crown-shaped appearance when viewed under a microscope.
These RNA viruses can infect both humans and animals and have a high mutation rate like that of the flu or the HIV virus . Coronaviruses are also zoonotic, that is, they are transmitted from animals to humans. Detailed investigations have revealed that SARS-CoV is transmitted from civets, a small mammal, to humans and MERS-CoV from dromedaries to humans. Several coronaviruses are known to circulate in certain animals, but which have not yet infected humans.
In humans, the manifestations of the infection range from the common cold to a severe lung infection, responsible for acute respiratory distress. Coronaviruses were first identified in humans in the 1960s.
Since then, three coronaviruses have led to serious epidemics:
- SARS-CoV (for severe acute respiratory syndrome), responsible for a global epidemic between November 2002 and July 2003,
- MERS-CoV (for Middle East respiratory syndrome ), first discovered in 2012 in the Middle East.
- SARS-CoV-2, originally responsible for the first coronavirus pandemic in 2020.
What is Covid-19?
The Covid-19 is an infectious disease caused by a new coronavirus discovered in the city of Wuhan in China. Indeed, the World Health Organization (WHO) was informed of several cases of pneumonia of unknown cause in this region, on December 31, 2019.
The incubation time , the time between exposure to the virus and the appearance of the first symptoms, is estimated between 2 and 14 days after a risky contact. During this period the subject can be contagious. On average, the disease occurs between the 3 th and 7 th day.
As with many infectious diseases, the elderly or those with chronic conditions are at higher risk of morbidity.
How is the coronavirus transmitted?
Coronaviruses are transmitted from person to person during close contact in a confined space within a meter and / or for more than 15 minutes.
There are two modes of transmission:
- by air : the postilions propagated during a cough, a sneeze or a discussion,
- by physical contact : like a handshake or a kiss. Or through contaminated surfaces (door handles, keyboards, stair railing, etc.).
What are the symptoms of Covid-19?
Common signs of infection are fever , cough , runny nose , severe fatigue , unusual muscle pain , feeling tight or short of breath, and difficulty breathing . In more severe cases, the infection can cause pneumonia, severe acute respiratory syndrome, kidney failure, and even death.
The disease remains mild in 80% of cases and researchers estimate the overall death rate from the virus at around 3.2%. Some patients also present with an asymptomatic form of the virus: they carry the virus, but do not show symptoms.
- contact the Samu (15) stating your symptoms,
- do not go to your doctor or to the emergency room, to avoid any potential contamination.
Coronavirus: the steps to adopt to protect yourself and avoid the spread
To prevent the spread of the infection, a few simple actions are recommended by the health authorities:
- Wash your hands frequently with soap and water or with a hydroalcoholic solution.
- Cover your mouth and nose with the bend of your elbow or with a disposable tissue if you cough or sneeze to prevent the spread of viruses and other pathogens.
- If you are ill, stay home and wear a disposable surgical mask around other people.
Shumaya Home Service has been providing best home care for Corona Patients since the inception of this pandemic to the corona patients around Lahore, Pakistan. Our well trained Medical staff, Nurses, Medical Attendants provide best care for the patients suffering from Covid-19.
You can contact us any time around the clock if you need home based medical assistance on the given number: